Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Finally Got There!!!

Southern Africa. Wow.  I knew it would be beautiful, but I honestly was so shocked at what I experienced this past week. I’ve dreamed of taking an African safari, seeing elephants, zebras, exploring exotic places- it truly was like walking right out of one of my dreams.



I ended up getting to Johannesburg, South Africa at 4:30am on Wednesday morning. I was supposed to have arrived at 4:30pm on Tuesday, but that didn’t happen.  They originally told us to be at the airport at 3am because the flight was going to leave at 5am. Then at about 5am they said they weren’t sure when they were going to board because the plane had JUST landed. So we waited… then they brought us donuts and coffee as a peace offering… then more donuts and coffee showed up at about 6am. Then finally at about 7am we started to board.

According to the flight crew ‘since they were in such a hurry to get out of IAD they didn’t fully restock the plane and didn’t have any snacks or the little packs of socks/toothbrush/socks they usually give you.’ Whateverrrrrrrrrrrr I was just happy to finally be on the plane. The nice thing was that since it was delayed they ended up cutting out the stop to Dakar so it was a direct flight to Joburg and also since there were people on the flight that were going to Dakar they were put on another flight. There honestly weren’t a lot of people on the plane at all. Everybody got their own row on the flight! I did try to get upgraded since I was pissed off about the delay (which was sold out, btw) but it ended up being totally fine. Let’s see I watched: Tangled, Burlesque, The King’s Speech, Due Date and a few tv shows. Read a few magazines and slept for about 4 hours. Direct flight was 14 1/2 hours. It surprisingly went pretty fast.

When I got to the airport I started trying to figure out how I was going to get to our hotel. Since it was so late I was just going to hop in a cab and meet Brad at where we were staying. Well! I walk out and was totallllly shocked to see him standing there!! He had gotten there and was waiting for a while just to make sure I knew where to go and that I wasn’t alone. :)  Ends up we were staying at the hotel at the airport. It worked our perfectly because we went back and I got to take an hour nap

Then I got up, showered and we headed back down into the terminal to get some breakfast and to catch our flight to Zambia. It worked out because we didn’t end up having to change our 2nd flight since I got in so early in the morning.

Tried to have a quick breakfast at News Café, but due to the waitress’s lack of motivation it ended up being a longer breakfast than we wanted to have. Oh well… no one seems to be in a hurry on this continent.  After brekkie caught our flight, I caught an hour and a half nap and then we were in the great country of Zambia.

Over the course of the week our African adventure took us to Livingstone, Zambia to see Victoria Falls, Kasane, Botswana to Chobe Game Reserve and to Johannesburg, South Africa to explore the city.

I'll break my posts into the 3 different locations just because I have so much to share!!! Stay tuned!


Peace, Love and Happiness for finally arriving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment