Monday, April 4, 2011

DELAYED.


WELLLLLLLLLLL shit. I wasn’t planning on a vacay in DC, but I guess it was a surprise vacay.

So here’s what happened… My flight was delayed an hour from Pittsburgh because of the stupid rain. Not gonna lie, I was sitting on the plane so pissed off praying I wasn’t going to miss my flight. I sat there for 2 hours thinking about how long this flight to Joburg was gonna be, how bad my back hurt, how I didn’t really want to read the book that I had, and how excited I was to see my baby J

So I finally got to DC at 445 and my flight was to leave at 540. I stepped off the plane and went to look at the departures board and there was no joburg to be found. I was really confused so I asked and 3 ladies who worked there told me to go to A14/A16 as that’s where all the South African flights took off from. Once I got there there was no sign that the flight was to leave from there. So I’m standing in line to check in (or so I thought) and I start hearing people getting this ‘well the flights delayed’ speech. So I start to listen. ‘Well, the flight is delay because the returning flight never left Dekar last night due to mechanical problems. Due to this the flight is ESTIMATED to leave at 5am tomorrow. Please return at 3am and we’ll start to board at 415.’ So I start thinking… ok the plane didn’t leave LAST NIGHT. Africa is 6 hours ahead which means it’s already 10/11pm there so it’s been almost 24 hours. Noone said anything to me when I checked in, nothing was on the website, what. The. F.

So then I get the same speech from this lady (who, btw, all the workers were employees of Qatar Airlines not even South African) and they were actually really rude. So I kind flipped out. I mean… ok. Let’s run down the facts. I’m a 25 year old white girl traveling by myself to Africa. I’m going to Joburg and when I get there I’ll have no form of communication to get in touch with Brad … so I’m relaying on our plan of me ‘walking out through glass doors and going to the left by the money exchange place’ to meet Brad. Now, mind you, I am a pretty confident person and this really hasn’t bothered me up to this point, but then I started thinking what the heck am I gonna do if this flight ends up getting delayed again and I don’t know how to meet up with him? So my first reaction was to flip out. And I def did and didn’t hold back my emotions or how I was feeling. This didn’t really go over well with the people at the counter and everybody was kinda like ummm we’re all in this situation calm down. But idk, I just wanted them to know I was pissed. Maybe not the best approach, but that’s what I did. So then I told them I wanted to call customer relations. So I did. And flipped out on these people. I mean- you OBVIOUSLY knew 24 hours ago… why the f did you let me get on a flight to come here only to find out I can’t even go? Had I known prior I could have flown to JFK and got a flight from there OR even gone through a stop in Europe. Well they told me they couldn’t do anything either and the only people that could do something were the ‘people at the airport, because ma’ma, I’m not at the airport. I’m in a call center’ Well NO SHIT, seriously? I had NO IDEA you weren’t at the airport and were at a call center. Wow, how didn’t I figure that out.

So pissed off I decided I’d start my trek to the great old Holiday Inn that they were putting me up at until 2am. As I was walking out I though, well let me try the ticketing counter. Maybe I could get them to switch my flight a day or two later coming home and not make me pay a fee. Well I tried a different approach that time. I ended up crying about how I was all alone and I didn’t know how I was going to meet up with Brad now and stuff and they felt bad and switched my flight to leave on Monday instead of Sunday now. Ha! I tried to get upgraded to first class, but that didn’t work. I’m not gonna lie… I’m gonna try when I check in tomorrow anyways. We’ll see. Or else when I call and complain about how they should have informed us before I’m def going to try to see if they’ll give me status on US Airways.

Anyways, so I finally get to the Holiday Inn and there are like a million people from my flight here. Even people dressed in African garb. It’s actually kinda funny.

So I ended up drinking a few Guinness, making friends with some people at the bar, and eating some dinner. Gonna try to fall asleep for a few hours and get up at 2am to get the shuttle to the airport. So much fun… oh yeahhh… except I kinda screwed up. I wanted to get a neck pillow but in all my anger I didn’t get one. And now that I think about it I’m pretty sure nothings gonna be open at 3am at the airport. Damn it….

Ugh, I’m gonna be so gross in my same clothes 3 days later once I actually get to Africa. OH! And that’s another thing… noone can tell me when we’re gonna get there (now on WEDNESDAY! Ugh). So I don’t know if we can still make our Zambia flight on Wed or not. Hopefully someone will be able to tell me this tomorrow so that if we need to change it Brad can change it.

Hell. Maybe once I get there I’ll stay until he comes back for Easter. Shit. It’s been such an adventure getting to freaking DC who even knows what tomorrow will bring.

I wish this is what I was doing tonight:


Peace, Love and Anger.

Ps. I met this guy tonight who has a site where he reviews music on it and was telling me about how to contact music producers to get music to review and it’s all free. I’m thinking about getting my own domain and doing the same. I mean. It sounds like pure winning to meeeeeeee.


No comments:

Post a Comment