Saturday, April 2, 2011

Learn so much...

Soooooo before starting work I never ate Indian food, saw a cricket game or knew anything about India (except I always loved their bangles and I knew that they loved glitter and sparkles and jewelry as much as I did)

Well over the last few weeks of the Cricket World Cup I've learned so much about all of it!
To give you a little background about my team at work: The project director is from Sri Lanka and everybody else on the team is basically from India. This week India beat Pakistan and made it to the final game of the world cup (which, btw, was hugeeeeeeeee- LOTS of happy people at work haha!)

So I didn't really know the first thing about cricket. I always knew 'it was like baseball'. Every summer my project manager organizes a cricket tournament and I actually went last year so that was really my only exposure to the game. All week my teammates helped me learned exactly how the game was played, rules, everything! Lot's of emails and conversations about wickets, overs, bowlers and all the other cricket jargon.

This weekend we are releasing a new part of our application into production so we all had to be at work. The game started at 530am our time so everybody came in early to watch the game. I came in about 730 and got to watch the rest of the game until it was over at about 130.

One of the things I found so interesting while I was watching the game was the variety of fans in the stands. You'd see die hard fans painted head to toe like the Indian flag, fans with jerseys on, fans with street clothes, fans dressed in cute outfits, but then you'd see fans dressed in saris. No matter what the outfit, they were all there and so excited to see India play for the world cup!
Since it was go live weekend (and go live weekends are usually filled with food and 'hurry up and wait' activities) our lunch was catered by the Taj Mahal on McNight Road. It just seemed fitting to be eating birani, peneer tiki masala, simosas, etc while watching India win the cup! I would like to state for the record that in the beginning of the game I said that India would win by 3 points (which the final score was 3 points off... justttttttt saying. Final score 276 for 4... 4 wickets that is ;) haha)

Learned alot. Ate too much. This morning was actually a pretty good time. Now we're on to watching a Bollywood movie Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jaayenge... not gonna lie, pretty much loving it so far.
I'll leave you with this great song I first heard today

A R Rahman - Maa Tujhe Salaam

Peace, Love and Simosa.

No comments:

Post a Comment