Thursday, July 1, 2010

What kind of techno music do you like? ... *blank stare*

I remember when I first started listening to electronic dance music. I met a DJ from the Netherlands and he asked me what type of electronic music was my favorite. I had no idea what he meant? I NEVER knew there were so many different genres in the electronic music family. I bet you didn't either - check them out here


Now, I'm definitely not claiming to be an expert by any means of electronic dance music and generally tend to spend more of my listening days within the Trance and House families. Even saying 'ohhh I listen to trance and house music' is soooo high level. Take for instance Trance. There are numerous genres within Trance for example- Classic Trance, Acid Trance, Progressive Trance, Uplifting Trance, Vocal Trance, Hard Trance, etc. It's so interesting to me that there are so many subsets in each genre. 


It really irritates me when people are like - that's not music, why do you listen to that. Take a look at that link in the first paragraph. There are so many genres within electronic house music, each with their own technique and style. How is that not music? I'm really a person that appreciates so many different styles of music. Over the last few years I've really been trying to familiarize myself with all the different genres within electronic dance music. I won't lie, I'm kind of aspiring to be a trance singer... I know I could be awesome at it.


While in europe I was immersed in so many different types. It honestly is one of the main drivers of me wanting to go back. Here in Pittsburgh it's pretty impossible to find a place spinning the top trance or house beats and if they start to play a song they usually go and mix it with something that's on the top 40 here and the song doesn't really get played. The other problem is I feel like this music isn't as accepted out in the public here (I'm speaking specifically of Pittsburgh) than it is in other places. I could only imagine that bigger cities as in NYC, Chicago, Miami are playing these songs. I know I always hear of my favorite DJs coming and playing shows in NYC and DC and always want to make the trip out to see them... but have yet to do so. SO if anyone is willing to take a road trip the next time I see one of my fav DJs are playing LET ME KNOW!!


A really great Trance group is Lasgo. They're a Belgian threesome and actually the lead singer Evi Goffin left a few years back  (she wanted to be a full time mom!) and they replaced her with a new one. They actually had a televised competition to find the new lead vocalist. Jelle van Dael is now the lead singer. 


Here are a few of their top singles:



Some Things.jpg
These have Evi as the Lead:
Lasgo- Surrender
Lasgo- Something
Lasgo- Alone
Lasgo- Pray
Lasgo- All Night Long





Lasgo_Outofmymind.jpg

These have Jelle as the Lead:
Lasgo- Gone
Lasgo- Out of My Mind
Lasgo- Lost 
Lasgo- Over You


Their most recent album 'Smile' came out in October. You should check it out- it's pretty good :-)


Ennnnjoyyyyy


Juls





No comments:

Post a Comment