Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The music of my soul

So I'm pretty much obsessed with music- my one manager said it perfectly the other day when he said I always relate everything back to either music or reality tv. (hey! I like what I like!!)

Over the last two weeks I've bought probably way too much music- but in particular (besides the misc random songs I've bought) I bought 4 cds. Miley Cyrus, Drake and First State's new albums and also the Memphis album.

Miley Cyrus- Can't Be Tamed ....
Well. I won't lie. I was pretty damn excited about this cd coming out. I'm definitely a big Miley fan (hey- I love Hannah Montana, I won't lie. I'm not ashamed. Judge me.) Not to mention the fact that we rode in a taxi with Jason Earles (Hannah's bro on the show) in Nassau last year... anyways, that really doesn't matter- but never-the-less I was excited. (and I know some others who were excited too)

Ok, but back to the review. So the first song comes on. Liberty Walk. Good beat, I was feeling the first song. Second song comes on. Who Own's My Heart. I'm thinking, ok, again I like the beat. It's catchy... but the chorus is a little weird. Can't Be Tamed is the next song so I'm drawn back in and thinking positively but THEEEEN comes on Every Rose Has It's Thorn. Ok, ummmm. *crickets* REALLY MILEY? REALLY? So she starts loosing me here.... The rest of the cd is OK. The only other songs I really like are Two More Lonely People and Robot. Scars is OOOOKKK. The remix of Can't Be Tamed really isn't that different except Lil Jon yells YEAAAHHHH a few times through out it.

My Rating: C
My Advice: Don't have someone write really stupid songs for you, stop trying to sound like Ashley Simpson and go more pop/techno. You're really not that great of a singer so play off of the dance aspect of a song.
My Most Hated Song on the Album: Either Every Rose Has It's Thorn or Forgiveness and Love. It's really a tie.


Drake- Thank Me Later ...
Lisa at work was really talking up this album so I was really excited to listen to it. I've definitely been a fan of Aubrey since his Jimmy days on Degrassi... but back then little did I know he went by his middle name of Drake! (shockinnggg!)  I wonder if he's still friends with Jake Epstein (who definitely was the background on my computer when I first went to college, just saying)... maybe he'd want to hook a sister up? Maybe? Awe reminiscing about Degrassi makes me want to watch it! I wish my seasons weren't in storage!!

Anyways... again, side tracked (maybe I have ADD... I apologize) I really do like the cd. WAYYYY better than Miley's (sorry girl). But I don't know... call it what you want, but I really am a more upbeat song type of girl. I really can appreciate the different sounding beats and songs he has laid on this album (and they really are awesome- seriously.) but there are only like 4 songs that I've put on my play list that I listen to everyday: Over, Show Me A Good Time, Up All Night (I mean come on- Nicki Minaj is my girrrrrrl - LOVE HER) and Find Your Love. Fancy is growing on me- I'll give you that Drake.
My Rating: B
My Advice: Free Weezy and get him to collaborate on some more upbeat songs. You should totally marry Nicki Minaj and make twenty albums together. I swear, if you both sang the phone book to me I'd probably love it more than anything.
My Most Hated Song on the Album: I don't really hate any of the songs on the cd. They're all good, I just like the upbeat ones better.


Memphis: A New Musical ...
So I downloaded this cd once I saw it won the Tony for Best Musical. (Ok, call it bandwagon, but I can't buy evvvvery single musical cd when it comes out!) The music is good. I liked a few songs of the album- in particular Music of My Soul was my favorite. I really didn't appreciate how well written and amazing these songs were until this past weekend when I went and saw the show live. WOW. WOW. WOW.  I honestly feel blessed to have seen Chad Kimball and Montego Glover perform in the roles of Huey and Felicia. THEY WERE PHENOMENAL! Every time they sang I was seriously just sitting there with my jaw on the floor. The way Montego sang Colored Woman just really gave me chills. I've had Steal Your Rock N Roll stuck in my head since leaving the theater. The company probably helped make the show awesome too ;-)
My Rating: B (before seeing the show), A+ (after seeing it live)
My Advice: Go to NYC. See this show. I swear you won't regret it. 
My Most Hated Song on the Album: Scratch My Itch.. I really just don't get it?


Watch their Tony performance - it's so good :-) This is the last scene of the show... definitely had you singing while headed out the doors!


First State- Crossing Lanes ...
OMG. OMG. OMG. VERY RARELY do you find a cd where you don't want to change the song because every single track is amazing. Well, this cd is one of those cds. Seriously- it's sooooo good. I really fell in love with First State after hearing their Falling with Anita Kelsey a few years back on a Tiesto's Club Life Podcast. It just really is an album that I haven't heard for a long time. The mix of sounds and beats on this album are amazing. It starts off so mellow with My Sanctuary and builds on to more upbeat trance with Cape Point to catchy, dance-y songs like Cross the Line. Honestly, if you love electro dance music go and buy this album RIGHT NOW.

My Rating: A+++ (I'm currently sooooo obsessed)
My Advice: BUY IT RIGHT NOW. 
My Most Hated Song on the Album: None. Love them all.


Hopefully this review of 4 completeeeeeely different albums has broadened your horizons and has peaked your interest into buying some new songs!!!

Play on plaayyyyaaa ....

Juls!

No comments:

Post a Comment