Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Stalking my whole life....

I feel like I'm a pretty open person. I think you have to be if you're in to social media. You're pretty much airing all your thoughts and actions for everyone to see.

Think back years ago, before twitter and facebook, before AOL AIM, before cell phones... how did people know about what you were doing? Personal interaction really was the stepping stone for learning about others and finding out what they were up to. Now these sites and applications really take the personal interaction out of our daily life...

I'm a pretty social person. Put me in a room with people I don't know, it may take me a few minutes to warm up, but once I start talking I'll probably get to know everyone in the room. One thing I do hate though is seeing people that I used to see on a frequent basis and being forced to talk to them. Take for instance - high school. I'm really not sure why, but I hate running into people from high school. It's always so awkward and it's always the same convo - 'Hey! How are you doing? What are you up to?' (this is primarily the reason I haaaatteee going to Mario's on the Southsouth. I swear all of Bethel hangs out there) 1st off. Half the time you really could careless. If you cared, you'd probably still talk to them. 2nd off. Because of social media you probably know where they are, what they do, that they went to the Bahamas last year with their now ex-boyfriend and that they just got a new dog named Toby. I feel like these social sites really give us the avenue to know so much more than we would have 20 years ago. You're not going to get all that information from a 5 minutes run in convo.

Sometimes I think, I should go through my list of friends on facebook and de-friend everyone I haven't talked to in awhile... but then I'm quickly reminded that I enjoy looking through my news feed and getting updated on what others are doing. I love looking through vacation pictures or see what people are up to. I know I'm not alone either!

I think back to middle school when we used to make fake screen names and try to talk to people to get information that we wanted. Now a days you can just sign on and easily see what's going on with their life, who they're talking to, what they're doing. Using all the different social media sites you can really get a sense of pretty much every aspect of someones live!

Some people are really against posting pictures and information about themselves online. I love it. All the pictures that I took one night can be viewable to all my friends who were there and they can save them and have copies as well! I feel like my memories are more documented now and that I stay in closer contact with my friends.

My Uncle recently passed away and my Aunt and Uncle who live in Texas came up for the service. We haven't seen them in awhile and we all were excited to catch up. We walked in the funeral home and upon greeting them my Aunt said- 'Ohhh I know all about what you've been up to from facebook! You're always popping up on my news feed! Don't worry Margie [my mom], I'm keeping an eye on her!' To which I first replied 'That's creepy' but then thought, wow. Jul. Way to be a hypocrite. You do the same exact thing.

I'd like to take a look at all the different social media sites and the ways you can get information about people for each. I'll search online looking at the different sites and see what information from my own accounts is viewable under certain situations. See the different features that different sites offer. Pretty much just explore the world of social media!! (and throw in a few personal posts as well!)

I feel like my life is pretty out there on the internet... let's see what I can find out! Also, I'm interested in checking out new sites that I haven't joined yet and haven't explored! If you know of any sites that I don't know of leave me a comment! I'll be sure to check them out!!!!!

Play onnnnn...
BBC Radio 1 puts on a free musical festival every year and on their website you can listen to an hour of DJ Tiesto's set. It's awesome!! Definitely worth the listen  Tiesto BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend

1 comment:

  1. I love you and your blog and your stalking ways. =) ...and i love..."their dog named Toby." haha..

    ReplyDelete