Thursday, December 9, 2010

What makes a great song?

My sister and I were having a convo about what makes a great song. An artist who is highly regarded can put out a song, sing it perfectly, but if it doesn't have a good melody or beat and have good lyrics it could end up being a real flop.


We believe that theses 3 things- singer, melody/beat, lyrics- make up a perfect song.


Take for example Ke$ha's new cd- Cannibal. It's no surprise to say that Ke$ha really isn't one of those singers you regard as an amazing singer, so she really would need to rely on good melody/beats and lyrics to help her sell songs. She has a song on her album called 'Grow a Pear'. At first glance you're like ummm seriously? 


Now without hearing the song and reading these lyrics - what do you think of the song:
Yeah I think you’re hot
I think you’re alright
But you’re acting like the chick all the time
You are cool and now you’re not just like that
When you grow a pear
You can call me back


The only redeeming grace this song could possible have is if it has a good beat. Well, judge for yourself- Listen to Ke$ha's 'Grow a Pear'


I hate it... so anyways. There really are only 2 songs I like on the whole album
Ke$ha - Blow

Ke$ha- We R Who We R

Honestly... those are the only two songs that are worth listening to. 


Recommendation: Don't buy the cd. There are a few good beats on it, but the lyrics are so weird and horrible that it's not worth the money.


Now take a look at TSwift's amazing album- 
Good Singer? - check!
Awesome melodies? - check!
Good Lyrics? - check check!


It's no surprise that I'm a huge Tswift supporter, but I honestly think that this is by far her best album. I am so impressed by her song writing and performing skills that it's hard for me not to be a fan. It really upsets me when people don't agree because take a look at the music industry right now. Pretty much it's just selling sex and talent is coming in second. Taylor really is the definition of talent. I was watching a documentary on her the other day and Brad Paisley was asked if he believed she should have won the Country Music Association's Entertainer of the Year Award last year. He said that although some may have their opinions about the award (*cough cough* Wynonna) if she hadn't had won the award then the association really wouldn't have been representing the true voice of the fans.


From the day I bought the cd I couldn't put it down. I honestly woke up singing the songs and fell asleep singing the songs. It truly was on repeat 24/7 until Christmas music took over my playlist. If you don't own Speak Now stop reading this, go to itunes and buy it. I promise you won't be disappointed. 


I honestly can't even tell you my favorite song on the album. Originally she wanted to call the album Enchanted (which is an amazing song btw- Enchanted), but her record label thought she really needed a strong title for this album. I love the Speak Now title. It's so fitting and I absolutely love how every song is about a situation or relationship she's gone through in her life. If I were to release an album it would be just like that.
If you were only to listen to 2 other songs on the album (other than the songs you hear on the radio) I'd suggest you listen to:
Taylor Swift - Sparks Fly

Taylor Swift- Love Live



But honestly- listen to the whole cd.


Ok, anyways, I should probably get a job on Taylor's PR team hahaha


Let me know what you think of the album!!


Long live the walls we crashed through
<3 Juls

No comments:

Post a Comment