Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Trading in the Beemer and Moving to NYC

Ever since I was little I always pictured myself living in a big city or somewhere else outside of Pittsburgh. Of course I fantasized about NYC and pretty much every place I would visit. My family and friends always tease me because when I come back from a trip I’m on a ‘I wanna move to XYZ’ kick until I visit somewhere else.
Coming out of school I never really wanted to stay in Pittsburgh, but since I got a consulting job based in Pittsburgh I figured it would be the best of both worlds. Travel during the week and be home with my fam and friends on the weekend.  Well of course that didn’t happen. I got ‘lucky’ and pretty much am in the 1% of people at my company that doesn’t travel. I’ve contemplated moving many times over the course of the last 2 ½ years, but never had made a move. I’ve always felt that in my life I’d need to do something drastic. Make a huge change. Get out of my comfort zone. Try something completely new. When I went to Italia I got some of this. It was for a short period of time (and I’d love to move back for greater than the 5/6 months I was there), but I always knew I’d need something more as well. There are sooooooooo many places to live in this world- I don’t want to stay in 1 place my whole life.
One of my really great friends from middle/high school moved to NYC after school and has been living there for awhile. This past summer I went up to visit and of course started my ‘I wanna move here asap’ rant. Welllllllll jump forward 6 months and his roommate moved out and needed someone to sublet his room! I really felt like I couldn’t pass this up. It’s definitely gonna be a hugeeeeee change- I’m selling my car (which I’m pretty much obsessed with), pretty much leaving everything I own here and moving up to the big city!
It’s crazy to me because I feel like I’m starting to live out a dream of mine I’ve had for soooooooo long. I know that there are some people here that will take it personally that I’m leaving- especially new relationships that I’ve started over the last few months. My Mom keeps telling me I need to get this out of my system beforeI have a family. I’ll always wonder what would have been if I don’t go. I feel like over the last year I’ve been working so hard to create a better ‘me’.  This is something, without a doubt, that I need to do in my life before I’d even be able to THINK about settling down.  I’m so excited to live a new life in a new city… I wish I could take certain people with me.
Me and the new roomies :)

No comments:

Post a Comment